The Section 203(h) program allows the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) to insure mortgages made by qualified lenders to victims of a major disaster who have lost their homes and are in the process of rebuilding or buying another home.
- Previous Residence (owned or rented) must have been in an area that the President has declared as a Major Disaster area, and
- Previous residence must have been destroyed or damaged to such an extent that reconstruction or replacement is necessary, and
- The borrower(s) application must be submitted within in one year of the President’s declaration
- Fixed rate programs only
- Purchase only — 100% FHA Financing
- Standard Mortgage Insurance applies
- Standard closing costs apply
- The new property does not have to be in the same area that the disaster occurred
Through Section 203(h), the Federal Government helps victims in Presidentially designated disaster areas recover by making it easier for them to get mortgages and become homeowners or re-establish themselves as homeowners.